Panguitch Middle School Community Council meeting, Thursday, February 25, 2021
- Future meetings set for:
- March 11, 2021 @ 12:10 pm
- April 1, 2021 @ 12:10 pm
- From there the first Thursday of each month. (meetings schedule may change to accommodate council member’s schedules)
- Mr. Torgersen referred to the training video sent out to all council members to review for rules and guidelines. He asked that we each take time to watch that to help us in our planning.
Discussion points on deadlines and school year 2019-2020 plan (how money was allocated/used):
- School improvement plan needs to be completed and submitted asap, (June 2021 is the deadline)
- Middle school science data showed that it should be the area of focus for school year 2020 so that is where some of the money went. Improvements seen (teaching and curriculum).
- No real data from 2019-2020 due to COVID so finding the data to create goal is challenging.
- Aspire testing was supposed to happen last year due to COVID the school did not purchase the test.
- Look into purchasing Aspire testing for middle school students to help long term data be more accurate.
- Last year’s plan included some of the following:
- Technology upgrades (surfaces, keyboards, webcams)
- Purchasing access to online apps/programs (IXL’s)
- Professional development for teachers (travel, accommodations, food, classes fees)
- Science supplies/curriculum
Discussion points on ideas for school year 2020-2021:
- Middle school goal??
- Coping mechanisms for emotional health –must be curriculum based and a curriculum purchase to justify and fit within guidelines.
- Behavioral health correlating with academic/in the classroom performance
- Guest speakers (mental health, self-esteem, effects of technology use, social media, pornography) how they affect the brain, emotions (social, mental, and physical health)
- Parent approval/consent is a must for any guest speakers/curriculum/etc.
- Parents invited to attend speakers/class with their student.
- How emotional health affects students in the classroom.
- Fieldtrips (academic based, enjoyment, relaxation, peer relationship building, disconnecting from their devices)
- Assessment for behavioral health/mental health??
- Positive incentives tied to academic goals ($2 per student)
- All goals items that money is spent on, must have a measurable outcome. (data driven)
- Art program as a possibility (community member artist/not certified teacher) Art Core curriculum.
Meet back on March 11th with ideas on what direction to go,
- Tammi will email teachers for ideas and needs.
- Callie will check on speakers/what’s available and age appropriate